I can help you…deliver on your New Year’s resolutions.
Recently I was browsing through an edition of Forbes magazine and came across an article entitled, “The science behind making New Year’s Resolutions that you’ll keep!” It seemed like a good time to read on!
Dr Clayton Cook Ph.D from the university of Minnesota was quoted as stating that most people don’t keep them. He outlined what we need to do to create new positive and beneficial behaviours, which boiled down to 5 key points:
- We need to set up cues or reminders in our environment that trigger new desired behaviours.
- Repetition is necessary to form a habit – the habit needs to become automatic and effortless so that it requires less cognitive energy to maintain.
- We need an accountability partner or coach to keep us focused and on track.
- Relapsing into old habits is part of the change process; we need to accept that we can have a relapse but that ultimately we don’t have to give up!
- We need to set goals and visualise the outcome, and also have “if-then” plans that deal with the likely barriers you will encounter.
I would also consider how effective changing persistent habits will be without acknowledging first the underlying emotional issue that has led to the adoption of an undesired habit. Indeed, how can one change a habit if one gets a positive emotional charge from performing it?
How can you change unwanted habits for good?
To achieve lasting change we would offer the following advice:
- Changing unwanted habits to new desirable behaviours requires addressing the underlying emotional issues at the root of the problem
- Recognise that every unwanted behaviour has a positive intention behind it and this intention needs to be honoured via the new behaviour
- The NLP Swish pattern is designed to “re-wire” your brain to link a new desired behaviour to an old “trigger”, helping you to change unwanted habits.
At Performing People we understand how you can achieve your goals. We know how to help you achieve lasting change that empowers you to fulfil the desired outcomes in your life. Our mission is to help people and businesses become more successful by transforming your mind and getting rid of the baggage of emotional issues from your past. We offer training courses that blend practical business experience, traditional change expertise and new NLP techniques, with a wholistic approach to changing behaviour that really works! Lasting change is achieved if we address all areas of a person’s life, not only their skills and knowledge, but also their health, well-being and relationships. We call this wholistic change.
Our 5-Day “Successful Project Management” course is a great example of the courses that we offer. It provides a unique blend of practical project management “know-how” and change techniques that will help you enhance and refine your people management and communication skills. This will enable you to transform your performance as a project management professional.
This course will help you achieve real change in your life, by overcoming unhelpful behaviours and thinking that hold you back and prevent you achieving your full potential. For the lasting change and success in life that you desire, we can help!
Book one of our life changing courses today: